Join Our Team
If you’re a smart, energetic person who thrives in a cross-cultural, multilingual environment, we’d love to talk to you! The Welcoming Center is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Small Business Advisor
Reporting to the Director of the Small Business Department, the Small Business Advisor performs a variety of financial/business management, advising, technical assistance, and related training services to new and existing small businesses; evaluates technical assistance needs of Community Development Organizations, business associations, and other community groups; supports entrepreneurs in accessing a wide variety of resources available in Philadelphia and beyond; manages communication, outreach and client recruitment; and coordinates partnerships with stakeholders. Second language is required, preferably Spanish, Vietnamese, Mandarin, Korean, or Arabic.
- Provides direct technical assistance to small business clients in the research and development of business plans, marketing plans, loan proposals, and related business development tasks.
- Participates in the development, promotion, coordination, and delivery of small business management training programs and workshops.
- Coordinates and participates in efforts to build relationships with local businesses and organizations to establish and develop fee-for-service consulting opportunities.
- Facilitates effective relationships with program participants, community leaders, neighborhood residents, and members of the business community.
- Builds client base and uses different outreach strategies to recruits program participants.
- Prepares program performance reports for both internal and external stakeholders.
- Willing to work on evenings/weekends as needed.
Skills & Abilities
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and demonstrated experience working effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Able to gather data, compile information, and prepare and present reports.
- Possesses effective logical thinking and analytical skills.
- Able to adapt to the changing relationships between the Welcoming Center and stakeholders.
- Second language required, preferably Spanish, Vietnamese, Mandarin, Korean, or Arabic.
- Bachelor’s degree in business management, finance, accounting, sales, or any other related subject; business ownership experience a plus.
- Familiarity with small business start-up process for the state of Pennsylvania and the city of Philadelphia, including a knowledge of licensing & regulations for different sectors.
- Experience developing business strategies (marketing, financial, import/export, others)
- Familiarity with different models of small business financing.
- Knowledge of Philadelphia’s entrepreneurial ecosystem, including nonprofit and city programs.