Join Our Team
Are you passionate about making a difference in the lives of immigrants and refugees? We have opportunities available for go-getters with positive attitudes and a willingness to learn. If you enjoy sharing ideas, innovating, and collaborating in teams, we want you!
We welcome applicants of all backgrounds and identities, including those of any age, race, religion, gender, ability, or sexual orientation.
Vocational Literacy Instructor (ESL)
Under the supervision of the Deputy Director, the Vocational Literacy Instructor teaches English contextualized for the workplace to English language learners receiving TANF funds. The ESL Instructor interacts with adults who have barriers to both employment and challenges in achieving their educational and professional goals. Classes have a strong emphasis on employment skills and job preparedness.
- Make lesson plans that provide English instruction, an introduction to workplace culture, and practical job skills
- Provide English instruction using strategies that (1) are effective with participants of various linguistic, educational, cultural competence, and ability levels and (2) incorporate a workplace focus
- Develop engaging, creative, and authentic learning environments for participants through in-class tasks and activities and out-of-class learning excursions emphasizing applicable workforce knowledge and skills
- Use assessment methods to measure student progress
- Provide regular feedback and progress reports to participants and staff
- Enforce program rules in the classroom, i.e. getting to class on time and prepared to work
- Manage attendance, documents, and student reports as requested
- Select, delegate, and manage volunteer tutors who will deliver differentiated assistance for participants
- Collaborate with employment specialists and student support coordinators regarding participant goals, progress, and employment opportunities/career pathways
- Participate in program-specific and all-staff meetings as requested
- Undertake other responsibilities as requested
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree
- At least one-two years’ experience teaching ESL to adults
- Experience working with a wide range of individuals from different socioeconomic backgrounds, cultures, and various levels of education and language ability
- Proven classroom management skills
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Experience with encouraging appropriate workforce behavior
- Expertise working with adults with personal barriers and professional challenges
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills
- Available for occasional evening hours
- Bilingual ability is a plus, though not required
This is a part-time position with the possibility of becoming full-time. To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com with the subject “Vocational Literacy Instructor.” We welcome applicants of all backgrounds and identities, including those of any age, race, religion, gender, ability, or sexual orientation.
Level of English Proficiency
Bilingual proficiency preferred, but not required.
Minimum Education Required
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.