Are you a Hiring Manager interested in tapping into a culturally and linguistically diverse talent pool? Does your company want to increase your knowledge of the benefits of hiring foreign-born talent? The Welcoming Center provides a variety of opportunities for employers.
Engaging Immigrant Talent Toolkit
The Welcoming Center’s Engaging Immigrant Talent toolkit comes after an intensive 18-month study made up of interviews, focus groups, and roundtable discussions, with employers, immigrants, and workforce development practitioners. The conversations examined how to develop more inclusive hiring practices and create a culturally competent work environment for successful immigrant integration into the workplace.
This toolkit is for employers who want to understand the steps they must take to recruit, retain, and promote immigrant talent.
The Engaging Immigrant Talent toolkit was made possible by a generous grant from the WES Mariam Assefa Fund and developed for The Welcoming Center by The Junkin Group, LLC to advance best practices for immigrant integration into the workplace.
Source: Engaging Immigrant Talent Toolkit
Immigrant Fellowship Program
The Immigrant Fellowship Program (IFP) at The Welcoming Center (TWC) connects employers to foreign-trained professionals for short-term, paid experiences in a variety of industries and professions.
Since its launch in Fall 2017, more than seven companies from various industries, including nine departments at the the City of Philadelphia, have hosted 23 fellows.
What benefits do employers receive?
- Access to a culturally and linguistically diverse pool of foreign-trained international professionals in a variety of fields who have successfully completed 8-weeks of U.S. career readiness training at TWC
- A preview of talent and short-term commitment of 12 weeks for 30 hours/week, not exceeding 360 total hours
- Wage subsidy may be available to private sector employer partners
- Ongoing coaching and support from TWC staff to fellows and employer partners
Who are our fellows?
Our fellows represent a variety of fields, including engineering, healthcare, commerce, municipal government, law, and many more. All of our fellows:
- Have a bachelor’s degree or higher
- Have graduated from our International Professionals Program
- Are fluent in English; a majority are multilingual
- Have international work experience
- Have obtained U.S. work authorization
How can you hire a fellow?
To learn more and to host fellows at your company, please contact us.
Running a small business? The Welcoming Center offers a wealth of resources for entrepreneurs. We’re especially proud of the work we do to create business and development corridors in Philadelphia neighborhoods – building individual businesses and local economies, together.